Almost there...

Thursday, June 07, 2001

Whew. Last night my life had a minor overload. I knew I was going to be at work late because Kevin had agreed to help me sort my brain and design a template for our web based learning stuff. So, he gets off work at six, makes his way to Stanford and arrives around seven. Two hours later we're headed to dinner having hacked out a basic design for the courses. By ten we'd had dinner and were headed homeward. When I arrived home just before eleven, I realized that I needed to dye my hair, pack for the wedding, and cook something for the potluck at work the next day. Yikes!!!

Lucky for me I tend to have plenty of food around the house. I pulled out some broccoli and cheddar and the extra pie shell I had and whipped up a quiche and set it to baking. Now the recipe book says quiche takes 35 minutes to bake. Every time I've made it, it takes at least an hour and a half to bake. Nonetheless, I set the timer for 35 minutes and ran upstairs to start dying my head. Thirty five minutes later, I dashed downstairs again looking much like some alien out of Star Trek, my hair coated in slimey burgandy goo. Of course, the quiche wasn't ready. Heck, it wasn't even close. So, I set the timer for another 35 minutes and headed back upstairs. I sat down for a moment and then realized I needed to pack. I carefully started looking through my closet for something appropriate to wear to a Southern Baptist wedding. (Wendy's getting married this weekend. Sigh.) Unfortunately, fashion coordination was too much for my brain after midnight. It was then that I noticed we had a message. Turns out the leaky toilet we'd been dealing with for months was finally due to get fixed in the morning. This led Rick to say, "Crap, I can't be here tomorrow morning! I've got that Microsoft meeting!"

Anyway, so I said I could stay home in the morning and take care of the plumber. I decided to put off packing a bag until then. Another 35 minutes had passed and I was showered and ready for bed. Still, the quiche wasn't even close to done. I set the timer for another hour and twenty minutes and asked Rick to wake me when he got out of the shower. He did. It had been about 30 minutes. I checked and found that no, it still wasn't done. I set the timer to shut off the oven in an hour and reset the kitchen timer to sixty minutes. At 2:30 in the morning, I tromped back downstairs one more time to find the quiche finally looked done. The oven had even done it's job and automatically turned off. I pulled the quiche out, loosened the foil over it, and stumbled back up to bed. I'm kinda tired this morning. Yah. But everyone liked my quiche at the party. Feh. There's something definitely wrong with that quiche recipe. It's either the time or the temperature. I'm not sure which. I've got to find out though before I do this again.


Post a Comment

<< Home