Almost there...

Monday, November 14, 2011

Another Weekend Headed Towards the Future

Do you ever have those moments where you realize you've agreed to do something kind of crazy? For me, it was as I was sitting at home Saturday morning, missing my husband (who was off rocking his presentation at the American Chemical Society conference in Pasadena), with my feet up, trying to drain my swollen ankles. I'd agreed to teach Cathleen's Dance 3 class from 1:30-2:30 at Dickens workshops and I was planning to teach Bohemian National Polka. This was all well and good, save that, 1. my ankles and feet were harboring the 3 1/2 pounds I'd gained in one day, 2. I'd never taught BNP before, 3. Richard usually teaches it in 2 hours and I only have 1, and 4. Oh for Pete's sake, I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and I'm about to teach others to do pivots with someone who is over a foot taller than me. Can this even work???

But, I got there, I taught the class, I handed out Richard's notes, I got many compliments from the students, and an inquiry from one as to whether or not I'd be teaching anything else during workshops because he liked my teaching style. Aw shucks!

During Fezzi rehearsal, we blasted through a whole pile of set dances, now having danced everything at least once during workshops. Then I grabbed dinner with John and Rebecca and Alex, Sherman, Cordelia, and Chris for Becky's birthday. We tried the Mexican place near where Nona's used to be, and all wished we were at Nona's.

On the way back from Pacifica, I jaunted through Home Depot to pick up paint for the next day's adventure: painting the baby's room.  Earlier in the week, I'd planned to go buy the blended paint+primer that came highly recommended from friends, but they recommended the Home Depot variety. I had a Lowe's color picked out. So a trip through both, and I found a Home Depot color that was the tiniest bit different, and suddenly I wanted to paint a test wall again. I laughed at myself and reflected on the Radiolab episode on Choice and brought home my samples and splashed them up on the wall Saturday morning. Now confident in my selection, I headed back to Home Depot and grabbed 2 gallons of "Brilliant Sea" in Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint + Primer, plus a gallon of white for the ceiling. Then I proceeded to San Jose airport to reclaim my husband.

The next morning, Athena came over and put her years of interior paint experience to work. She's a master, having put herself through school with painting interiors. First she caulked a seam between the ceiling and walls. Then Erik rolled paint on while she cut in the edges. After the first coat on everything (including the ceiling), we broke for a lunch of burritos from El Sabroso. Then we finished up the second coat around 5.

It came out just gorgeous! And it matches the baby's linens perfectly.

We sent Athena on her way with many many thanks and then collapsed on the sofa. I ordered a baby crib and a dresser/changing table. They should arrive this week and we'll assemble over the next few weeks. Luckily, the 2 p.m. burrito lasted us so we skipped dinner. After getting through various emails and other electronic chores, we enjoyed an episode of Supernatural, and then I was hoping for a little dab of ice cream, but we were out of New York Super Fudge Chunk. Erik volunteered to run to the store. I realized though that I also needed gas in my car, so I started thinking about going myself, but then he said he could just take my car and do that too. I looked down at the sleeping Leeloo in my arms and handed him my credit card for gas. 

So there I was, reveling in just how good I have it, with a sleeping kitty in my arms, Pepper curled up at my side, a husband out running my errands, and a baby kicking me from the inside, with a freshly painted baby's room among the accomplishments for the weekend. Yep. It doesn't get much better than this.


Post a Comment

<< Home